"Onward & Upward" with OAR = One Armed Rig

OAR = One Armed Rig: an adaptive device/tool for people with physical disabilities/challenges (such as amputation or partial paralysis of the body caused by stroke) who want to paddle a kayak and enjoy the great outdoors.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Adaptive Devices for Kayak Paddlers with Special Needs






I was working at Alberni Outpost in the summer of 2006 when I met Bruce Fuoco, who is recovering from a stroke, and is a also a volunteer with The Power to Be special needs health and wellness organization. My dad suffered a stroke in December 1999 and has since experienced reduced participation in his former favourite activity of saltwater fishing due to partial paralysis of the left-side of his body.
I am an enthusiastic kayaker who wants to introduce my dad to the wonders of sea kayaking and nature appreciation, in spite of his physical disability. So I was really glad when I met Bruce and saw these photos he gave me of the adaptive paddling device he had designed.
Here are photos of the paddling device and outriggers:

This is good news for those recovering from stroke that has resulted in partial paralysis and for others who have lost or limited use of an arm.

For more information about the adaptive paddling device and outriggers you see here, please contact Bruce at bruce.fuoco@shaw.ca or by phone at (250) 751-1824 or mobile phone at (604) 328-1824.

3 Comments:

Blogger pharmafree said...

was wondering if there are any videos of a kayak in use that has been equipped with oar and the outriggers. this device has me dreaming of learning to kayak again(a dream that had all but died with my apr 2005 stroke.

Peace

Kirk

1:51 PM  
Blogger Czarina Michelle Lim Gutierrez said...

Hi, Kirk!
I haven't seen this blog for awhile since we wrote it. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Very sorry.
On the brighter side, it's possible to contact Bruce - he's the expert. I'm just the marketing person...who wants to help make life better for those battling the effects of stroke daily. Did you contact Bruce? His e-mail address is on the blog post. Good luck!
Best wishes,
Czarina

7:49 PM  
Blogger Czarina Michelle Lim Gutierrez said...

Hi, Kirk!
It's better if you call Bruce at the phone numbers posted in the blog. I'm sorry but the e-mail is no longer valid and needs to be updated.
Best wishes,
Czarina

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home